Monday, July 7, 2014

Dairy-Free Cucumber Dill Salad Dressing


I think I've mentioned before that salads are not one of my favourite meals.  I always feel like they are too light and leave me with an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach if I just eat a bunch of raw vegetables.  However, in the summer when everything is fresh and the weather is hot, I don't always like to cook, and salads are a great, quick meal.  I've found that if I include ingredients with substance (like gains, beans, nuts, etc.) and add a hearty homemade dressing, salads can be a satisfying meal that do not leave me with gut rot.

This dressing will make 3 - 4 large salads.

Ingredients:


2 Tbsp raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
1/4 small ripe avocado
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp fresh dill
6" of cucumber, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic
black pepper

Directions:

1. Blend all ingredients in a bullet-type blender or small food processor until creamy and combined.  If needed, add a bit of water to make the dressing thinner.

I served this dressing on a salad of baby romaine lettuce, cucumber, cocktail tomatoes, cooked and cooled quinoa, hemp hearts, basil, and toasted almonds.  Enjoy!


Shopping Tips:

1. Buy avocados at least two days before you need them.  Let them ripen on the counter until they are a bit soft, and then put them in the fridge until you need them.

2. This dressing will keep in the fridge for about 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-45633129-1