Monday, March 3, 2014

Portobello Tuna Melts


Okay, I promise, I do not eat tuna melts every week, although I did just realize that I posted a version of a tuna melt just two weeks ago...

I really like to include tuna in recipes because it is easily accessible (can be stored in the pantry), is inexpensive, and makes it easy to include a serving of fish in my week.  For anyone who is gluten-free, this is a great way to have a tuna melt as there is no bread in the recipe.  I often make this when I'm looking to eat a bit lighter, which usually occurs right after Christmas or as the weather starts to warm up and I realize that the over-sized sweaters are going to have to be retired soon.  Seeing how it's March and the temperature this weekend was below -40 degrees celsius, I guess I also make it when I'm looking for something quick and easy.

This recipe serves two people.

Ingredients:

2 portobello mushrooms
extra virgin olive oil
1 can chunked light tuna, drained
2 Tbsp mayo (I use reduced fat veganaise)
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp fresh dill
1 handful of baby kale or spinach
1 small tomato
1/4 cup cheddar or gruyere cheese, grated
salt, pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Take out the stem of the mushrooms, and use a spoon to scrape out the gills.


3. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet and brush with oil.  Bake for 10 minutes, turning halfway through.

4. While the mushrooms are baking, in a medium-sized bowl, mix together tuna, mayo, dijon, dill, kale, salt, and pepper.


5. When the mushrooms are tender, fill each cap with the tuna mixture and top with tomatoes and cheese.

6. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbling.  Enjoy!


Shopping Tips

1. Portobello mushrooms are the really big ones.  They can now be found in all grocery stores.

2. Some tunas are more pungent than others.  I like the light taste of light tuna.

These tuna melts are great served with salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-45633129-1